Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Commenting Review Week 8

comment box



I always have trouble commenting on other people's work because I am a complete fan boy when it comes to seeing other people's creations not to mention I am commenting to a complete stranger. It is one thing to sit across from someone in a writing class and discuss their work, but it is a completely different thing to read their work then send them a post. It just feels invasive and creepy. So a trick I have learned to overcoming this is to look at some of the other students comments on the person's page. This helps me organize my thoughts and give me some other perspectives about the work that also give me ideas about what I want to say in the comments. I love to get comments on my blog. I don't really care about the comments sent on my story telling or my story book, but I love it when someone responds to my famous last words.

Picture attribution
By Solomon203 (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

3 comments:

  1. I definitely had the same problem when we started this class. I thought it really weird to comment on a complete strangers work and critic them. I felt like doing that made me seem insensitive for some reason. I think it is a great idea to base your comments on how others write theirs. When I comment, I say everything I love about their story then I go into the minor mistakes they made or what could have made their paper sound a little better then reiterate how much I enjoyed their writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t really thought about reading other classmate’s comments to help gather my thoughts. This could be a helpful method to make sure the author is not hearing the exact same thing twenty times. Haha. I should try doing this before I even read the story, so I can have a preface. I usually read the Author’s Note first, but reading through the comments is another technique I might pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say that I have ever thought of it being invasive to read other people's posts in this class, though I do find it a little invasive when people outside of this class read my blog. . . so I can see where you are coming from there. I also sometime read other people's comments on stories, usually to see if what I found confusing was just me missing something or if it was generally ambiguous--though it does give an interesting perspective on the work to see what other people think of the story. And perhaps next I shall read some of your famous last words!

    ReplyDelete