Monday, January 19, 2015

The Gospel of Mark Reading Diary Part A


Jesus Performing the Miracle of Bread and Fish

The Gospel of Mark Unit

The Miracles of Jesus

I have never considered that there were different accounts in the bible about the life of Jesus, but in my spring semester I took a Bible class and realized that the disciples all differed in their telling of Jesus’s life.  This part of the Unit was particularly interesting to me because I have done a close reading before, but the way this unit is set up the chapter and verse numbers are removed so I was able to read this from a strictly literature point of view. I have never stopped to imagine the feelings the men must have felt when they realized that there was not enough bread. I have always thought that this was just kind of a silly thing to place into the Bible as a miracle. When reading this version of the Bible I began to realize that there was a crowd of people that showed up and should they not have had enough to feed the people then quite possibly the story of Jesus would have ended right there, so it was an important miracle because by performing this miracle Jesus was able to preach to the people and his message was then able to be spread out. This is not to say that there would have been no possibility that the Jesus we think of today would not have existed if this miracle didn’t happen. Still after seeing this unit in this format I was able to better connect with the story and understand why the miracle was placed in the Bible.
 
 
Picture Attributes
Giovanni Lanfranco [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
 

No comments:

Post a Comment