Thursday, January 22, 2015

Storyteling Week 2

Flower, Water, Yeast
 
 
 
Jesus and the Miracle of Bread and Fish
 
 
       My name is Mark. I feel a responsibility to tell you about my friend Jesus. I’m sure you know the story about him being the son of God and I know that there have been others that have told stories about him, but still I think it is important to give my version of the facts.

      One of the things that I am asked about when I meet people is “Did he really do miracles?” The answer is yes. I have seen a number of miracles that Jesus performed. One of the miracles that I have always found to be one of the most important is the miracle of feeding people. This may not seem like a big deal, but it is because, if we had not been able to feed all the people we probably would not been able to get all the people to stay and listen to his message.

      I remember this miracle like it was just yesterday. There was a crowd of people gathered and we were short on food. All of us were panicked except for Jesus. He just grabbed the fish and the bread and told us to feed the people. We looked at him like he was crazy. We knew he was special, but we really didn’t have any really idea about what he was capable of, yet we were loyal to his word and followed his instructions.

      We carried the baskets of food out to the people and began to feed them. As people walked up I handed them bread, and someone else handed them fish. I never looked in the baskets. I was scared enough that we would run out and looking in the baskets would have just made my fear worse. I knew I had only five loaves of bread and there seemed to be a sea of people. All through the day I handed out bread people. I kept waiting for the bread to run out, but it never did. We never ran out of fish either. Most people that were there that day did not know that there was a food shortage, so they did not know about the miracle. That is the way that miracles work. Yes some are big and extravagant like Jesus walking on water, or curing a disease, but some are simple miracles like feeding people. A miracle that people get to be a part of and never even know they are witnessing something amazing. This was the nature of Jesus’ life. I was a part of it, and I was able to see all the miracles, from the walking on water to the unlimited bread supply. Yet it was not until he was gone that I realized the biggest nature of all. The greatest miracle that I ever was able to witness was the miracle of his life and being a part of it.



Authors Note
I wanted to retell this story from the Gospel of Mark in an updated way. I chose first person because I wanted it to have an autobiographical feel to it, almost like Mark was being interviewed. I chose the miracle of the Jesus feeding the people because I have always found it to be interesting.

 Bibliography
The Gospel of Mark from the New Testament of the Bible
 
Picture Attributes
Lambert Lombard (1505/1506–1566) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the your rendition of the classic Bible story. Telling it from a first person account was an excellent idea. It really put the reader there in the story seeing it through someone else’s eyes. The small bit about how Mark wouldn’t look in the baskets because he was afraid was one of my favorite parts. Another favorite was the comparison of miracles, big and small, and that it didn’t make a difference in their effectiveness. Great story ☺

    ReplyDelete