Monday, March 9, 2015

Reading Diary Part B Week 9

Black Rattlesnake



My Favorite story from the second half of this unit was the Rattlesnake’s Revenge. I think this story really highlights the connection between Native people and nature. Something that the wife saw as a threat she killed and for that she was punished. This really spoke to a broader issue for me because I think that we react to people and things in our lives that we don’t understand with hostility and we never think about the consequences of these actions. In the story the rattlesnake that the lady killed was the chief of the rattlesnakes and because she did not take the time to talk to the snake she made the mistake of acting before taking the opportunity to live with it in peace. Ultimately the husband who came across a whole bunch of snakes instead of panicking took the time to investigate the problem and nothing bad came of it for him. In fact because of his choice to seek understanding he was able to show the snakes that the Cherokee were honorable people and they eventually were given the ability to never be harmed by a rattlesnake again.


Picture Attribution
By Tim Vicekrs (St Louis zoo, self-made) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

  1. I think your picture of the snake definitely drew me in to this post. I am definitely glad I came across it though. I've always loved animals about animals, and snakes are somewhat of a fascination for me. I'm glad you enjoyed the story about the rattlesnake's revenge. From what it sounded like, it must have been a very interesting story.

    ReplyDelete