Monday, April 27, 2015

Famous Last Words Week 15

Here's a little Gratitude for you............



Graduation Cap

Well as this semester winds down there is only one last thing for me to do and that is Graduate. Now that I have my cap and gown, I have all the invites sent, and there is less than two weeks till commencement I am left with the thoughts of all the things I have experienced in my college years, and may I add I have had a lot of years. In the 1990’s I began college at what was then known as Seminole Jr. College. I had always figured I would goto college, I just never knew that I would take this long to do it. When I went to Seminole I can say one of the things that I experienced was sitting in a history class and back then there were not cell phones, so information traveled a little slower. We even had tape decks to record the lectures. Back to the point I was sitting in class and people were coming in and sitting down but it was not the normal attitude in the air that most days was pretty relaxed and friendly. Today people were talking about some building in Oklahoma City that had blown up. I had never heard of the building and at the time people immediately knew it was some sort of terror attack, although most of us thought it was foreign and not domestic. Immediately after class that day I went home and turned on the news. What most people don’t forget is that originally there was a man known as John Doe #2, not Terry Nicoles but another man that they never caught or believe may have never existed. I dropped out of college at the end of that semester. One of the reasons was because I failed English comp 2 for a second time. Back in those days’ windows was not as advanced as it is today. Spell-check was hit and miss and in my hurry to print up my final paper in the class I didn’t print up the corrected version of the story and because of that I failed due to too many misspelled words, thus I received and F in the class. The previous semester I had been in a car wreck and was failed because of too many missed days. A few years later I went back to school and took English comp 2 again, but at that time I was more interested in drinking and having a good time than school and I once again failed because of lack of attendance. When I turned 31 I was dating the woman of my dreams. I was so in love and well she dumped me. After I hung up the phone I looked at myself and thought “Wow I am 31 years old, a bartender, and I have no education. No wonder she dumped you. You have no future.” I became so angry that I was determined to prove her wrong so I enrolled in a math class at Seminole St. College the next day and started going to class. The next semester I transferred to Rose St. College and I once again took English comp 2. Once again I failed the class and was forced to withdraw from it. The following semester I was determined so I enrolled once again into the same teachers class and this time I was placed into a group project. The young students I was placed in were terrific students as well as people. Together we came together and created a project that I am most proud of about hate crimes. Not only were these projects part of our final grade, well actually they were our entire grade, but they were also a competition. I loved seeing the look in the professor’s eyes as she had to hand me my reward for Best project. Seeing the look in her eye was important because there were some issues that the professor and I had that I felt and still feel went far beyond her professional boundaries. To put it bluntly I hated the professor and she hated me, and it was absolutely no secret. After that I transferred to OU. When I arrived at OU I was in heaven. I was at my dream school and I was finally perusing my degree. One of the first classes I took was a class on Islamic Law by Dr. Vishanahoff. I mention this because after my second week in class I received an email from him that would inspire me throughout the rest of my time at OU. I received an email and I am paraphrasing it, but the basic point was that I talked too much and the things I had to say were dumb and if I didn’t stop I would not pass the class. This forced me to look inward at how I project outward to people and make changes. By the end of the semester I had received an A in the class and to this very day Dr. Vishanahoff is one of my favorite professors. He has no clue about how much he improved my college experience and for that I will always be grateful to him. I took a few years off and returned in the summer of 2013 to finish school. That summer I was introduced to the world of Native American language. I took Cherokee. The professor was Prof. Armer. She is one of the most amazing people I have ever met and I feel that she is truly everything that a college classroom environment should be about. I am so grateful for the time was able to spend in her class and all the many times she put up with me in her class. Truly an amazing professor. With the exception of my poetry professor all my college professors here at the University of Oklahoma have been exceptional. Kim Roppolo, Laura Gibbs, Joe Sullivan, Christopher Carter, Dr. K, Kenneth Hodges and the many others that have been a part of my college career I owe a great deal of gratitude to because even though they may not be away of it, they have helped me in my personal life. They have each forced me to get the best out of myself and for that I thank them and will always honor the time I was able to share with them. So what I guess I am trying to say is that it has been a long road but I made it and I really just want to say thank you to all my professors with the exception of my poetry writing professor…..Thank you guys!!!!!!!!!!





Picture Attribution
By User:Fred the Oyster [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/), GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html) or CC BY-SA 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment